How to choose Christmas gifts ethically? Here are some hints!
Posted by Ethics 29 Comments
Christmas is coming!
It’s time we mostly associate with warmth, calm, celebrating with family and friends at a table filled with delicious food and… gifts!
Gifts always were a nice way of showing our feelings – sometimes even substitutes for words that can be hard to say out loud.
In this crazy consumerism era we need to verify tradition.
This doesn’t mean we need to stop giving gifts at all! We need to pick them consciously tho.
Here are some of our hints how to get started:
1. Choose items that someone needs. If we know a person well – we just know what she or he needs and it’s pretty simple. Although if we are not sure it could be a good idea to ask the closest members of his or hers family – if we’d like that to be a surprise. Or we simply can go and ask this person directly.
2. Choose items that were made locally. It’s always a better choice – regarding the distance and transport = carbon footprint. At the same time we support local business and artists of craftmen.
3. Check the label. Search for certificates that assure about items’ ethical production process, More about such certificates HERE.
4. Try choosing eco-friendly materials. Wood, ceramics, glass or even recycled materials are accessible, ecological alternative for common plastic.
5. Aim for durability. Good quality always increases your chance for a perfect gift and is better for the environment.
6. You can always give a gift card to some ethical store!
Here are some gift ideas we already tested, so we know they are always a good choice!
- Fairmas’ wallets – we guess everyone needs a new wallet sometimes ;)
- Vegan belt – practical thing!
- Socks from Many Mornings – a gift that is practical and funny!
- Gift cards for ethical shopping! (underwear, clothes, shoes – it’s hard to be sure about the size or style and sometimes it’s better to let someone decide for themselves).
- Delicate, sterling silver jewelry from a local artist.
- Comfy, Polish slippers.
Did we forget about something? Let us know about your ethical gifts ideas!
Marry Christmas guys! And some great, ethical gifts!